Friday, November 28, 2008

train to darhan

i took the train to darhan on tuesday. i think muji was trying to tell me that he wanted to come, too. hehe


corrie is another teacher here with elic. we shared a sleeper car together. it was so great to not be traveling alone.


here is my bed on the train all ready for me sleep all the way to darhan......


...and then some. i was supposed to be wakened at 3am to get off the train in darhan. however, this is the sukhbaatar train station at 5am. no one on the train woke me up, so i slept through my stop and went all the way to the russian border! thankfully i was allowed to stay on the train and just return to darhan around 8am. unfortunately, my poor friend hetee was waiting for me at the train station in darhan for several hours. thankfully, he didn't make me feel too bad about it. perhaps it was his promise to get me back someday that made him so gracious this weekend. hmmm. :)


here is a stop between sukhbaatar and darhan. do you see the small building in the background on the left side of the picture? i think this is where people wait until they see the train coming, and then they have to hike up to the tracks in time to catch the train. do you see the man doing just that? i also saw a couple of people using a small sled to bring some sort of goods onto the train. i just thought to myself, "only in mongolia."

1 comment:

Let Love Grow said...

That is THE way to travel! what a cozy bed and to be put to sleep with the rock of the train...i experienced that in China but our beds were not near as decorative or private! :-) My cat likes to get in my suitcase too; she seems to know when i am leaving and doesn't like it one bit! :-) Happy Thanksgiving - a few days late!!