Saturday, September 29, 2007

feeling heavy

this week was filled with heavy stories about life in mongolia. my classmates and i somehow began talking about the many scams that people try to pull on each other here. the desire to go to america is so strong for some that they will give all their savings for an american visa only to have the company that promised them the visa turn out to be a scam. they never get the visa, and their money is long gone. others have it even worse, especially if they are young and beautiful. you can guess what kind of scams get pulled on them, but just in case you can't, i'll tell you that one of the words i learned this week is the mongolian word for pr*stitute. my heart breaks knowing the desperation for a better life and how easy it is for evil people to prey on those with such strong hope.
my life has been so easy compared to what most of the people around me have lived. even so, i've had disappointments and my heart has been broken a few times. i often find "hope" to be one of the hardest words for me to maintain in my own vocabulary. how much more difficult it is for the mongolian people to hold on to hope! please join me in asking the Giver of Hope to fill this land with his glory and provide reasons for the people to have what only he can give.

No comments: