Sunday, April 20, 2008

grace & mercy

simple sunday school definitions:
grace - getting something good that i didn't earn
mercy - not getting something bad that i did earn

how i've been seeing these words lived out in mongolia in the past few weeks:
GRACE
*an inspiring and fun two weeks of practice teaching
*a friend giving me about 4 kilos of fresh beef from one of her relatives who lives in the countryside
*skipping church this morning at 11 and running into an old friend on the street when i finally left my house around 1
*discovering a new depth in friendships with both foreigners and mongolians alike
*counting down the days until my friend laura comes to visit me (current count 22!)
*finding a great cat sitter for the summer

MERCY
*being connected to a local body here and experiencing the ways the Father uses to make us hunger for holiness
*sticking within my budget last month because so many friends offered me unexpected meals
*warmer weather this spring than most mongolians have experienced for the past several years
*potential conflict at my language school avoided
*needing some plumbing repairs and having the women who work at the elic office take care of everything

GRACE + MERCY
*being given my teaching assignment for next year.....at a college here in the city that is known for having high academic standards (and girls who dress like they are on "fashion tv" hehe)
*being given a choice of where to live next year
*choosing to stay in my current apartment....this will be the first time i haven't moved in 10 years!!!!!!

1 comment:

Imagine1122 said...

Hmmmm...random comment...will you be naming your first born Grace? My Mom wants me to choose Grace as kinda a symbol of Russ n I, etc. We were thinking Grace Kennedi or Grace Murphy (family name). IDK though. I personally liked Brielle and Corinne (of course!), but she thinks they are too stuffy. LOL